Happy New 2021 Year!
In 2019 and 2020 New Year resolutions we describe our achievements and prepare a new list for 2021.
2020 was the Covid-19 pandemic year and it was a very difficult year for us and the whole travel industry. Thank you all who kept supporting us throughout the whole year. We really needed it! This year we mostly focused on functionality and maintainability. Many features were completely restructured internally and even more importantly we’ve managed to reorganize our small team of 20 people to grow our competency in many fields. In June 2020 our company celebrated 10 years old. We made a Mega Sale with 90% off and gave out more than 150 T-shirts to our Expert users who managed to pass tricky Quiz.
OsmAnd Android got 4 major releases this year: 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9 (already available for Beta Test) with more than 300 public features and issues closed on Github. Here are the most prominent features of 2020.#2020 NYR * features we committed last year
User Settings / UI / Usability
- Profiles * fully customizable (#2020 NYR)
- UI customization (#2020 NYR):
- Plugins & Export/import all settings and data
- New slopes / hillshade maps (#2020 NYR)
- User-selected icons for Favorites
- Bicycle cycle network nodes & routes
- Antarctica map
Route Planning & navigation
Route Creation tool:
- *Multiprofile and multisegment tracks*
- *Recorded track approximation*
- New navigation type: Direct-to-point
- Navigation UI: Exit number & Road shields
We’ve managed to release 4 new versions of OsmAnd for iOS this year: 3.12, 3.14, 3.80, 3.90 (already available for Beta Test)! All this was possible due to the commitment and hard work of our iOS team to catch up with Android.
#2020 NYR * features we committed last year
- Public Transport and Route details (2020 NYR)
- New slopes / hillshade maps (2020 NYR)
- Profiles (2020 NYR)
- Plan a route (2020 NYR)
New Year Resolutions 2021
We are going to start next year with an extended team of 12 software engineers. We grew +70% compared to the previous year and it is good news. We can probably do 30% more in 2021 :-) Our list is growing every year and, as of today, we have around 1700 requests waiting to be fixed or implemented. That’s why it is important for us to set up some public goals and try to follow them to a certain extent.
- Travel and Track Collections (Android & iOS)
- Full export / import and online Backup (Android & iOS)
- Improve Tracks UI & Navigation with Altitude Graph (Android & iOS)
- Plan Route with Track Approximation (follow up on iOS)
- Custom user icons for Favorites (follow up on iOS)
- Plugins & UI Customization (follow up on iOS)
- Quick Action Panel (Android)
We’re also looking forward to many improvements in our search, routing & rendering. We hope to surprise you with new useful features and hope that in 2021 OsmAnd will be more useful for your trips than in 2020. Happy 2021 and let’s welcome 2021 OsmAnd Users and OsmAnd Team!
Follow OsmAnd at Facebook, Twitter, Reddit and Instagram!
Join us at our groups of Telegram (OsmAnd News channel), (EN), (IT), (FR), (DE), (RU), (UA), (ES), (PL), (AR), (TR).